Thursday 18 March 2010

The Spare Room

The Spare Room

Hammerpuzzle Theatre Company

Chapel Arts Centre, Bath

Wednesday 20th January 2010

The Spare Room is an adaptation of Swiss dramatist Friedrich Durrenmatt’s, 1956 tragicomedy The Visit. The original play focuses on themes of punishment, moral strength, greed and revenge and features a whole town of characters. Hammerpuzzle’s interpretation still heavily focuses on the original themes but the characters have been cut right down to five making a much more intense, claustrophobic atmosphere.

One of my friends said, “I felt the performance was very much of GCSE standard” If that is how I performed when I did my GCSEs I think I would be a famous actor by now.

I thoroughly enjoyed the play, it was intensely gripping and had me hanging onto the edge of my seat right up until the final plot twist unfolded.

The actors were all extremely talented, especially the ones playing children as that can often proof very difficult. I actually felt like I was watching children act as opposed to watching an adult act like a child.

The set was simplistic; everything on stage had a purpose. A table doubled up as a bed. This added to the stylised feel of the piece and the audience having to use their imagination.

I feel this play would do really well as a touring production that visits primary schools. It is highly entertaining and humorous yet educational due to its themes. I think this play would really appeal to a younger audience; it would be easy to understand and would grip their attention.

I look forward to seeing what Hammerpuzzle ‘s future productions will bring.

If you fancy checking them out for yourself visit the companies website at http://www.hammerpuzzle.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment